Sunday, March 29, 2009

BAILOUT, SEX, MURDER, MCDONALDS and COCA COLA

AND THERE YOU HAVE IT

So they say if you have a catchy title on your blog - maybe some good keywords - it will get you more hits on your site. OK - so my title has nothing to do with my blog - it's just to get more hits. So for sports today I'll simply complain that most of the very top seeds made it through March madness and now we'll likely get the pleasure of watching North Carolina in another championship game. Wip-dee-freakin doo da day! So I'm not in the mood to yammer about sports today so I'll give you a little tip in case you want to smile and enjoy a day out in the sun. Find the local Little League field and go watch the 5 year olds play tee-ball. That's what life is all about. Pure relaxation, fun, and guaranteed mayhem. There is nothing like watching a ball hit off a tee and then watching 10 or so kids on the other team pile on top of each other fighting for the ball or watching the kid in center field playing with blades of grass oblivious to the fact that a hit ball just rolled right by him. FUN IN THE SUN!!!!!

MOVIE OF THE WEEK

OK, I'm going Independent Film again and I know this will by no means be everyone's cup of TV and probably not recommended for the kiddies. It's a little movie called Chuck and Buck. Trust me on this one - if you like creative film making, good acting and a very interesting albeit off the wall story rent this one. Mike White wrote and directed the film and also plays the lead role of an adult still lost in a child's world. As usual I prefer not to give much away about specifics of the story but I will tell you that you won't be able to take yourself away from the screen. The acting is relaxed and brilliant and I'm thankful that we have writers like White that will put some taboo subject matter onto the big screen.

ENGLEBERT HUMPERDINCK

So I'm now conducting the Prelude to the Opera "Hansel and Gretel" by the Austrian composer Englebert Humperdinck. But I do realize that most of you know Mr. "Dink" as the guy who sings the power ballad "After the Lovin". Well I decided to youtube Mr. "Dink" and he did quite a rendition in Vegas in the 80's. He has quite an amazing voice and while I don't normally recommend pop singers on the music part of my blog he is well worth listening to. Particularly amazing is his "opera lesson" on youtube where he sings parts of Puccini's "La Boheme". The guy has quite a range. Oh - and while you're at it - the opera "Hansel and Gretel" by the other "Mr. Dink" is both colorful and beautiful and cannot be recommended more highly. Try to see and hear it in live performance if you get a chance. Who would thought it - two Engelbert Humperdinck's that are both one hit wonders. How odd.

GRIPE OF THE DAY

That I can't just fly where I want whenever I want. This is a gripe that I must do something about. I must find another job as if I'm not busy enough already but I'm just tired of not being able to hop on a plane for a weekend. So for all of you that think college professors are well off and have comfortable lives.....hahahahahah, think again my friends. Cash, checks and money orders accepted.

No comments:

Post a Comment